Jonathan D. Mishkin Bio
Jonathan D. Mishkin focuses his practice on tax/trust controversy, estate planning, taxation and closely held business advisory services with offices in Portland, Bend and West Linn. Drawing on deep experience gained inside both large accounting firms and large law firms, Mr. Mishkin capably advises and counsels individuals, families and their businesses, and trusts/trustees.
Prior to founding his own law firm, Mr. Mishkin practiced with Harrang Long Gary Rudnick P.C.; Fulbright & Jaworski, LLP and Deloitte & Touche, LLP in the areas of estate planning, taxation and federal/state tax controversy.
When he is not serving his clients or assisting students, or attending a Duck football or basketball game, Mr. Mishkin enjoys hiking and camping with his wife and two sons, and his trusted Siberian husky, Loki.
Mr. Mishkin serves a variety of industry organizations, specifically:
University of Oregon School of Law – Adjunct Professor – Tax Practice and Procedure
This course covers the IRS and Oregon Department of Revenue administrative audit procedure from audit commencement through appeals and potential litigation. The focus is on using administrative remedies to resolve the audit favorably rather than resorting to litigation.
Oregon Club of Portland – Board of Directors Member
This group promotes the general welfare of the University of Oregon, dedicated to helping the Ducks continue to achieve athletic and academic excellence. Started in 1946, the board has actively supported the university’s athletic programs and fostered the alumni and fans’ spirit and loyalty in the Portland area.
Estate Planning Council of Portland – Member
This non-profit organization provides professional education to further the estate planning knowledge of Estate Planning Attorneys, Trust Officers, Certified Public Accountants, Chartered Life Underwriters, Certified Financial Planners, Chartered Financial Consultants and other active participants in estate planning matters throughout Oregon and Southwest Washington.
Oregon Humane Society – Corporate Relations Board – Member
This committee is responsible for identifying strategic corporate partners, developing and executing the annual corporate giving program, and raising revenue to support the work done by the Oregon Humane Society.
University of Oregon Alumni Association – Member
Mr. Mishkin earned his LL.M. degree in Taxation from Georgetown University Law Center, where he served as the Graduate Tax Policy Scholar, and J.D. degree from the University of Oregon School of Law with an emphasis on estate planning and business planning. He earned his B.A. degree in Economics and Political Science from the University of Pennsylvania.
Mr. Mishkin has notably:
- Represented numerous public and private corporations in taxable and tax-free spin-offs, and taxable mergers ranging from $10 million to $1 billion
- Handled due diligence on the buyer and seller sides for various corporate acquisitions ranging from $10 million to $1 billion
- Drafted nondisclosure/confidentiality agreements, mutual and unilateral, preparing to discuss a merger between multinational clients whose trade secrets were key to the acquisition
- Represented a multinational corporation in two separate corporate tax controversies with the IRS and Revenue Canada, both resulting in full tax agency concession
- Represented a public corporation in a $2 billion secured credit facility restructuring
- Represented two separate sellers concerning large timber tracts in Texas and Louisiana
- Represented closely held corporations in domestic and international joint ventures and restructurings